Climate pledges—a step in the right direction for the private sector—too often fall short of transformative change. In his recent Drawdown Insights piece, Executive Director Jonathan Foley offers a new way forward for climate leadership, asking companies to:
1. Cut emissions towards zero, not “net zero.”
2. View carbon removal only as a last resort (for unavoidable emissions).
3. Pay the “Social Cost of Carbon” for ongoing pollution.
4. Address historic emissions, too.
5. Carefully weigh issues of climate justice every step of the way.
Credits: Project Drawdown