cultivating environmentally literate & responsible citizens
get to know us
The “Mediterranean Education Initiative on Environment and Sustainability” (MEdIES) is the long-standing initiative of the Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD): a holistic type of education that equally addresses the economic, ecological and social dimensions of any given topic.
Since 2002, when it was first launched during the Johannesburg Summit for Sustainable Development, MEdIES has run ESD projects in countries all around the Mediterranean and has used its website as a window to ESD stories from around the world.
From 2005 to 2014, MEdIES closely followed the UN Decade on ESD. Since 2015, its activities have been aligned with the Education 2030 Agenda, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Mediterranean Strategy on ESD (MSESD).
Both formal (teachers) and non-formal (i.e. facilitators) through trainings & seminars.
Through school visits and targeted initiatives such as summer schools, student contests, etc.
Through public events such as exhibitions, conferences, festivals, etc.
We promote Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) at all levels, from the institutional to the grass-root level,
aiming for responsible, environmentally literate, democratic and ethical global citizens, who make informed choices and engage in committed actions, based on the values of sustainability.
Using ESD as a “vehicle”, we run projects on topics from water, food, and waste, to cultural heritage and human rights.
We address everyone from students and (formal and non-formal) educators, to environmental managers, education administrators and the public.
ESD trainers and teachers through workshops, seminars, online courses, summer schools, youth exchanges.
at the grass-root level through dedicated school visits, festivals, contests, films, etc.
OUR WORK VALUES
We believe in bottom up approaches.
We believe in co-creation approaches within diverse teams.
We enjoy swimming in new ‘uncharted’ waters, that somehow intersect with ESD.
We believe in the experiential, hands-on learning process …
… AND ARE INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (ICTs) ENTHUSIASTS.
We bring together many different players & networks.
We value clear rules and transparency in our collaborations. We are responsible, consistent, supportive.
We are lifelong learners ourselves. We reflect and evolve (self-transform) in the way we work.
get to know us
Get a glimpse at the types of activities we do through a short animated video.
* To browse in our old website visit: http://old.medies.net/
Want to contribute? Join us!
Prof. Scoullos (PhD, MSc) is the Chairman of MIO-ECSDE since the early 1990s, and holder of the UNESCO Chair on ESD in the Mediterranean (UoA). Among many other things, he is the driving force behind the Mediterranean Strategy on ESD and its Action Plan and author of innumerable resources and scientific articles on ESD.
Iro (MEd) joined the MEdIES Secretariat in 2002. With a Chemistry background, she soon followed the path of Science and Museum Education, as well as ESD. She is keen on “how people learn” and on creating supporting environment for such a learning to take place.
Vicky (MEd) is engaged in developing and applying experiential learning activities on Sustainability for children and adults. She has been supporting the MEdIES Secretariat since 2002. A Chemist with a Masters of Education in Science Education, she is also a Certified Adult Trainer.
Vassilis (MSc) has supported the MIO-ECSDE educational activities since the mid-1990s. He enriches the MEdIES Secretariat with his experience as a former Natural Sciences secondary education teacher and school principle. He has (co)authored and edited many educational resources.
Sevasti (MSc) is a Biology teacher and has been actively supporting the MEdIES’ water and waste projects for many years. She has been diligently applying Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in her classroom with non-stop enthusiasm.
who we collaborate with :
UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe (Venice Office)
UN Environment MAP
Union for the Mediterranean (UfM)
UNECE | ESD Steering Committee
League of Arab States (LAS)
- Anna Lindh Foundation
- Makhzoumi Foundation
- Mohamed V Foundation
- World Environmental Education Conference (WEEC)
- Bridge 47 network
- Paris Committee on Capacity-building (PCCB Network)
- EPALE – Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe
- EU School Education Gateway
- Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs of Greece
- Ministry of Environment and Energy of Greece
- Ministry of Environment, Land and Sea Protection of Italy
- Ministry of Education of Cyprus |Pedagogical Institute of Cyprus
- Energy & Water Agency of Malta |The National Water Conservation Awareness Centre (Ghajn)
- Baltic University Programme (BUP)
- British Council (Greece)
- UNESCO Chair & Network on ESD in the Mediterranean (at UoA)
In 2020, our activities would not have been possible without the valuable support of:
(in alphabetic order)
- EU Life Programme – Operating Grants for NGOs
- Erasmus+ (KA1 grant)
- Hellenic Recovery Recycling Corporation
- Heraklion Development Agency /Greece
- Makhzoumi Foundation
- Ministry of Education of Cyprus
- Ministry of Environment and Energy of Greece/ Green Fund
(in alphabetic order)
- Anna Lindh Foundation (2006, 2012)
- Coca-Cola 3Ε and Coca-Cola Hellas (2006-2013)
- Coca Cola Foundation Atlanta (2014-2018)
- Development Company of Parnonas S.A. (2018)
- Energy and Water Agency of Malta (2017-2019)
- EU (various programs 2002- today)
- GWP-Med (for water education activities 2002-today)
- Hellenic Recovery Recycling Corporation (2019)
- Makhzoumi Foundation (2018, 2019)
- McDonald Hellas (2003)
- Ministry of Education, Cyprus (2016-2019)
- Ministry of Education, Greece (2005)
- Ministry of Environment, Greece (2019)
- Ministry of Environment, Italy (2004)
- Municipality of Nikaia, Greece (2018)
- OPAP Company, Greece (2018)
- UNESCO Participation Programme (2009, 2010, 2019)
- UNESCO Regional Office for Science and Culture in Europe (various programs 2008 – today)
- UN Environment MAP (various programs 2002- today)
- Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) (various programs 2002- today)
Join the MEdIES e-Network to receive our newsletter and updates on our events, workshops, etc!
Questions, feedback, requests, complaints? Do get in touch, we are always happy to hear from you and we will do our best to help!