The EU4Ocean Coalition is organising a new round of engaging ocean literacy activities for the upcoming Let’s Make the Mediterranean Blue Sea basin event. From youth activities, educational programmes to the Mediterranean Ocean Literacy Festival, there is no limit to your imagination. Come on board and join us in making the Med blue!
A new wave of ocean literacy activities is fast approaching, this time the Mediterranean Sea basin. Supported by the Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries of the European Commission, the EU4Ocean Coalition is preparing its Let’s Make the Mediterranean Blue sea basin event, organised around Med Coast Day (September 25th). It will combine a rich and diverse programme on-site, in digital and in hybrid format, organised in different Mediterranean locations. Together, by connecting Mediterranean ocean literacy actors and initiatives, it will serve as a focal point for bringing ocean literacy to everybody’s mind and actions.
Particular attention will be given to:
- Bringing the ocean to education, considering differences in cultures and pedagogy between Mediterranean countries and identifying mechanisms for strengthening the place given to the ocean in national curricula and education policies
- Supporting inspiring youth ocean literacy activities, widening youth learning opportunities and developing blue skills by bringing together youth representatives from the different Mediterranean countries
- Strengthening the role given to ocean literacy in strategies and policies, including in different policy domains (marine & land-based) and at different decision-making scales (from local to Mediterranean Sea basin scales)
- The Mediterranean Ocean Literacy Festival showcasing engaging ocean literacy activities: from science shows, arts performances or workshops to public debates for young Europeans and other audiences that are directly or indirectly linked to the Mediterranean Sea
- Bringing attention to the role of ports and harbours in making the Mediterranean blue through the #MakeMedPortsBlue photo contest
- Promoting the #MakeEUBlue campaign that has been launched at European Maritime Day 2021 and is ongoing
- Promoting the ongoing #MakeEUBlue campaign launched on European Maritime Day 2021 – Every action, even the smallest one, brings change to the ocean!
- Contributing to #MedCoastDay 2021 – The Mediterranean needs you. If you put a seashell to your ear, you will hear it calling!
In coherence with the truly Mediterranean character of the event, the journey the event is offering will stop over in different Mediterranean caosts, including in Malta, Venice and Tunisia. The Make the Mediterranean Blue activities are organised between September 24th and September 27th, 2021. While many activities or initiatives will be virtual, we aim at one physical activity per Mediterranean country organised during these three days.