The Alter Aqua material aims to develop the knowledge and competences of educators and students on issues relating to Non-Conventional Water Resources (NCWRs). It was developed in the framework of the Non-Conventional Resources in the Mediterranean Programme coordinated by the GWP-Med (2008-2018), the educational partner of which was MEdIES. The material was originally produced in Greek to meet the needs of the educational community of the water scarce Greek Islands (in three editions) while it was adapted and produced (a) for Malta ‘s educational community (in English) (b) for Cyprus (in Greek) (c) for Sardinia (in Italian). This educational material has the following objectives for the students:
- To be acquainted with the water cycle and the impacts of human activities on it;
- To be informed about the alternative or Non Conventional Water Resources;
- To explore the benefits and risks of the NCWRs at various levels: environmental, social and economic;
- To be aware of traditional and cultural aspects of water and to find out how the past “wisdom” can be transferred and applied in modern systems of water management;
- To develop the skills of critical thinking, decision making and participation;
- To acquire a positive attitude towards NCWRs and adopt responsible water consumption habits in their daily lives
More about the educational activities of MEdIES for NCWR Programme are available at the link. Download the educational material by clicking from the links below.